Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day Memories

Tomorrow is the real Memorial Day. Monday was "Memorial Day - Observed." Well, that's O.K. Our fallen military heroes deserve both days of recognition. In fact, I vote that we should make it Memorial Week.

Fox News has been broadcasting beautiful tributes to our fallen military heroes; including a very touching one done by Lockheed Martin. Wouldn't it be great if more companies spent commercial dollars for such a noble purpose?

All of our history's war dead deserve to be in our thoughts this week. Their families belong in our heartfelt prayers.

Tomorrow's date has special significance for me because that is the date that my dad passed away - on May 3o, 1995. I have previously written about my witnessing experience with him. It was back in January of 1995 when I last saw him alive. One day during my last visit with him I had a truly faith-cementing experience. You can read about it at the link above.

I still miss him. I think that I always will until we are re-united in eternity with the Lord. The fact that he accepted Christ as Lord and Savior just four months before he passed away was an answer to my childhood prayers. I was worried about him missing heaven.

He used to call me "sweetie-pie." When I was a little girl I would run to the door when he came home from work, jumped on him, kissed him and said, "I missed you daddy!" I can still remember at the young age of seven, wondering if he would ever trust and believe in Jesus Christ. Thirty-Four years later, my prayers for him were answered!

Sometimes it is difficult to wait for the Lord's timing. However, the Lord is faithful - even when we are not! His timing is perfect! I learned that fact about God in a very real way in the midst of my father's life and death situation. The Lord also gave me a wonderful gift - that glimpse into the heavenly realm through my father's vision of a visiting angel.

I remember thinking...no one is going to believe me when I tell them what happened that morning. Then again, it doesn't really matter. The event happened for the benefit of both my father and I. No one else needs to believe it, anyway. It was our little shared miracle on this earth.

Still miss him. But I do know that one day I will see him again.

Love you dad!

Your "Sweetie-Pie"

No comments: