Tuesday, October 10, 2006

God's Spirit Is With You Always

At my other blog, The Way Of God In Truth, I have been recording my answers to our current Bible study. Our study is called A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23. We are using Phillip Keller's book, which is an inspiring and insightful guide to one of the best-loved Bible passages. We are using The 23rd Psalm The Lord, Our Shepherd, by Juanita Ryan, for our study guide questions. As supplemental reading, we are also enjoying Max Lucado's Traveling Light, which is a marvelous book! In this book, Lucado discusses the promises of Psalm 23 which allows the reader to release the burdens that we were never intended to bear.

I have heard excerpts from this book during the study and they have been awesome! I've been meaning to purchase a copy for myself, but during my first purchase attempt, the book was out of stock. Then, I tried to order it through my mail order book club, and they didn't have it available either! Today, my best friend Kelly gave me a copy as a thank you for watching her dog! I can't wait to read it now!

My good friend Tammy, who happens to be one of our study leaders, compiled a truly wonderful list of thoughts and feelings along with God's answers within Scripture that shows how our Lord is our refuge and help. I will type the outline, and a link to the Scripture verses.

Here's the question from the study:




9. Take a minute of quiet and ask God to show you how he is with you as your refuge and help. Write whatever thoughts and feelings come to you.

Talk to God about whatever troubles you are experiencing. Invite God to show you that God's Spirit is with you always.


Tammy's answer was titled:

The Dark Valleys of Life and the Son Filled Mountain Tops

My Valley: Fear

God's Provision: Let not your heart be troubled.


1. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (See Jhn 14:1; Jhn 14:27 )
2. Peace I give to you, my peace I give to you, not as the world gives, give I to you. (See Jhn 14:27)
3. Fear not for I have overcome the world. (See Jhn 16:33)
4. Do not be afraid, I will be with you wherever you go. (See Psa 56:11 )
5. He is our everlasting Father and Prince of peace. (See Isa 9:6)
6. You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You. (See Isa 26:3 )
7. Let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts. (See 1Pe 5:14)
8. The peace of God which transcends all understanding. (See Phl 4:7 )

*******

My Valley: Darkness

God's Provision: Light.


1. My God turns my darkness into light. (See Jhn 12:46)
2. The Lord is my light and my salvation. (See Psa 27:1 )
3. His Word is a light for my path. (See Psa 18:28)
4. The Lord will be your everlasting light. (See Isa 60:20 )
5. He is the light of the world. (See Jhn 8:12 )
6. I am the light of the world. (See Mat 5:14)
7. God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. (See 1Jo 1:5)

*******

My Valley: Sorrow

God's Provision: Joy, Comfort.


1. As the Father has loved me so I have loved you. (See Jhn 15:9 )
2. Now remain in my love. (See Jhn 15:9)
3. If you obey my commands you will remain in my love. (See Deu 11:27; Jhn 15:10 )
4. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. (See Jhn 15:11)
5. The fruit of the Spirit (or, the product of His presence in our lives) is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. (See Gal 5:22)
6. May your unfailing love be my comfort. (See Col 2:2)
7. For the Lord comforts his people. (See Isa 57:18 )
8. I, even I am he who comforts you. (See Isa 51:12)
9. He is the Lord of compassion and the God of all comfort. (See Psa 145:8 ;Psa 111:4 )
10. Through Christ our comfort overflows. (See 2Cr 1:3; 2Cr 1:4)
11. God who comforts the downcast. (See Luk 4:18)

*******

My Valleys: Loneliness

God's Provision: His presence.

1. God offers His presence and to be our friend. (See Psa 95:2 ; Psa 100:2 ; Pro 18:24 )
2. I am with you always, even to the end of the age. (See Mat 28:20)
3. You have granted us eternal blessings and made us glad with the joy of your presence. (See Eph 1:3)
4. Jesus, friend to tax collectors and sinners. (See Mat 11:19 ; Luk 7:34 )
5. I have called you friend. (See Jhn 15:15 )

*******

My Valleys: Short Sighted.

God's Provision: An Eternal Perspective.

1. An eternal perspective that our life is just a vapor and eternity is close. (See Jam 4:14 )
2. What is your life, you are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (See Jam 4:14 )
3. Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. (See Mat 6:20)
4. You will have your reward in heaven. (See Mat 5:12; Mat 6:1 ; Luk 6:23 )
5. Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, and eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. (See 2Cr 5:1)
6. Meanwhile, we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling. (See 2Cr 5:2; Rom 8:23; 2Cr 5:4)

*******

My Valleys: Overwhelmed

God's Provision: He Promises Daily Bread.


1. Who by worrying about it can add one day to his life? (See Luk 12:25)
2. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. (See Pro 3:6 )

*******

My Valleys: Anxious

God's Provision: Be Anxious For Nothing.

1. Be anxious for nothing but in everything with prayer and thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (See Phl 4:6 )

*******


My Valleys: Discouraged

God's Provision: A Happy Heart.


1. A happy heart makes the face cheerful. (See Pro 15:13)
2. The cheerful heart has a continual feast. (See Zec 8:19)
3. A cheerful look brings joy to the heart. (See 1Ch 29:9 )
4. A cheerful heart is good medicine. (See Pro 17:22 )
5. Be strong and courageous. (See Jos 1:7 ; 2Ch 32:7 )
6. But Jesus said to them, "Don't be afraid, take courage, it is I." (See Mat 14:27; Mar 6:50 ; Luk 24:39; Jhn 6:20

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "Tell me to come to you on the water." (See Mat 14:28 )

"Come," He said. (See Mat 14:29)

Jesus asks each of us to come to Him. He is THE Lord, THE Savior, THE Son of God, THE Prince of Peace!

No comments: