Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Why He's So Special

In my last post, I mentioned a quote made by Gandhi. A member at my message board gave me a link to a site that he claimed would help answer this question from that post:



This, then, makes me wonder. Should Gandhi have been judging his personal decision regarding Jesus Christ only upon Christ's followers (whom he disliked and condemned) or should he have made the judgment strictly upon Jesus Christ and who He is as revealed in the Scriptures?


Here is a small portion from the Gandhi site:



Q
What do you think of Christianity ? Did you consider becoming a Christian ?

A

My association with Christians dates from 1889 and there was a time in my life when I sincerely considered Christianity as my religion. In my pursuit, I met many a scholars and thinkers, who while having a profound effect on me, were not able to convince me. Although I admire much in Christianity, I am unable to identify myself with the orthodox Christianity. I must tell you in all humility that Hinduism, as I know it, entirely satisfies my soul, and fills my whole being.

The missionaries come to India thinking that they come to a land of heathen, of idolaters, of men who do not know God. My own experiences all over India have been on the contrary. An average Indian is as much a seeker after truth as the Christian missionaries are, possibly more so.

Please do not flatter yourselves with the belief that a mere recital of that celebrated verse in St. John makes a man Christian. If I have read the Bible correctly, I know many men who have never known the name of Jesus Christ, men who have even rejected the official interpretations of Christianity, but would nevertheless, if Jesus came in our midst today in the flesh, be probably owned by him more than many of us. My position is that it does not matter what faith you practice, as long as the soul longs for truth.


This question and answer does shed more light upon Gandhi's personal beliefs. However, his beliefs most certainly conflict with what Jesus and his apostles tell us in Scripture.



John 8:24 - I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.

1 Corinthians 1:21 - For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1 Timothy 1:16 - Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1 Peter 1:21 - Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

1 Timothy 4:10 - For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

[all above are KJV]

Christ the Power and Wisdom of God

1 Corinthians 1:18-31 (NKJV)


(cf. Is. 29:14)


18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:


"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."*


20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the *Greeks foolishness, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.


Glory Only in the Lord


26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the *base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption-- 31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord."


Footnotes:
1:19
Isaiah 29:14
1:23
NU-Text reads Gentiles.
1:31
Jeremiah 9:24



This morning, I was catching up on my reading in the booklet called, "Our Daily Bread." It is a small and concise devotional that shares profound biblically-based messages to read each day. The following is the message dated Sunday, June 11th. I thought that it fit perfectly for today's topic.


"Some pretty good people have founded religions over the centuries. One religious leader spent a good portion of his life trying to find truth - an admirable quest.

Another religious leader was a teache and a civil servant who drew up an honor code for his people - a respectable venture.

No matter how good any originators of world religions may have been, they cannot in any way compare with the founder of Christianity. The major reason is simply this: They are all in the category of "good men," while Jesus is in a category by Himself - the God-man.

Jesus alone is Immanuel (God with us; Matthew 1;23), the Living Word (John 1:14), the Savior (Luke 2:11), and the Messiah (John 1:41). Only Jesus could truthfully assert His equality with His heavenly Father. "I and my Father are one," He said (John 10:30). Only Jesus' words are divine. His life was the only perfect one. Only Jesus' death and resurrection provide life everlasting.

Jesus is unique in all the world. He alone is worthy of our worship, adoration, and awe. He alone is the perfect Man. The divine One. The provider of salvation. Don't settle for anything - or anyone - less."

Written by Dave Branon

Not all roads lead to God,
As many people claim;
There's only one true way-
Christ Jesus is His name. - Sper

Only Jesus can erase mankind's guilt.

No comments: