Monday, October 22, 2007

Terrible San Diego Wildfires!

Couldn't sleep last night. The wildfire that started in the Ramona area had me worried. Although I fell asleep in front of the T.V., I awoke at 2:00 a.m. and heard that there were now seven wildfires threatening the area.

Thank God that the closest fire to our home is now 40% contained and not a threat to our area because the Santa Ana winds are blowing the fire and smoke in the opposite direction. My husband and I are so worried about several friends and co-workers whose residences are in the evacuation areas.

This is the worst fire EVER in San Diego County. It tops the formerly worst one we had in 2003 (I think it was called the Cedar Fire) which our family escaped as well. However, it blew smoke and ash all over the homes in our area. It took days to clean it all up. But we cannot complain one bit! The suffering going on today is immense. Please keep these people in your prayers.

So far, I have only heard of 1 death and about 17? people have been reported to have been treated for burns. With all the devastation these fires (particularly, the Witch Fire) have caused, it's a miracle that the casualties are so low. As they always say, you can replace a house and belongings...but not a loved one's life. People have taken the warnings to evacuate seriously and have done so.

I am typing this now because we just got our electricity back. It went out last night at 3:00 a.m., so I haven't had time to catch up on all the internet news.

Let's pray that the winds will cease, the fires go out and that there will be no further injuries or loss of life.

Christine

3 comments:

MB said...

Yes, I will pray, too! I was close to a few wildfires when I lived in Colorado. We even had the car packed and ready to go, in case of evacuation. It's very scary. Be safe!

Doug said...

Prayers for the safety of you, your family and your home!

Looks nasty out there. Stay well.

Christinewjc said...

MB and Doug,

Thank you so much for your concern and prayers! I sincerely appreciate it!

We are still here...although we are packed and ready to leave on a moments notice...if needed.

The smoke and ashes were raining down on us early this morning. It was so bad we thought we would have to leave. Within an hour of packing, the wind shifted and blew the smoke out! So, we are staying put, for now.

I will type up an update soon.

Christine

P.S. Thanks, also, to all of you who emailed letters of concern and prayers!