Friday, December 31, 2010

In 2011: We're to be strong...in the power of His might.

For several years now I have been a subscriber to Dr. David Jeremiah's free Turning Point magazine devotional and a supporter of his excellent ministry. I love the fact that I get the devotional weeks before the next month begins.

In the new January 2011 issue, there is an article that I think is one of the best ever written! I tried to find it online, but the website only has one of the articles published there today.

It would have been so much easier to copy and paste it here. But I will consider it a "labor of love" to type out sections of it so that readers here will get to enjoy it today.

The new devotional is entitled, "Unclaimed Possibilities." Before I share sections of the article, "Claiming the Power," I want to share the last few paragraphs of the last article in the booklet, "Claiming the Message."

In this essay, Dr. Jeremiah stresses that the Bible's message is the same as it has always been. It is good to know that the opportunities may increase and the methods used by Turning Point may change, but THE MESSAGE OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST never will!

Sadly, I have seen some churches loose the importance of that statement. They become so worldly focused that they are no longer heavenly focused! I like how Dr. Jeremiah puts it:

The best packaging in the world won't compensate for faulty content. Technological innovations are worthless without an abiding message to communicate.


I wholeheartedly agree! When I witnessed two churches drifting away from the original purposes for their existence, it was truly sad to see. I could no longer support such ministries. It breaks my heart to admit that, but it is true.

I feel confident in supporting Turning Point Ministries because I have the assurance that the message being shared is committed towards Bible truth and the Christ-centered gospel.

Excerpt:

I want to assure you with all the power of my convictions that however quickly our opportunities may increase and our methods may change here at Turning Point, our message never will. Our Lord Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. God is immutable and imperishable. His Book is infallible and inerrant. The human heart is as sinful as ever, but the blood of Christ will never lose its power to redeem and save lost souls. Heaven and hell are real, and Christ is coming soon. We have a message to preach, a Gospel to share, and millions of lives to encourage.

Sometimes innovation is necessary or else our ministries become museums and then mausoleums. [Note from Christine: I know EXACTLY what he means! I've seen some museum-like churches teetering towards the mausoleum phase!] But when that change weakens the message, the result is a graveyard for evangelism. The historic motto of Youth for Christ was: "Anchored to the Rock...Geared to the Times." It doesn't do any good to be geared to the times if your message slides off the rock. The best packaging in the world won't compensate for faulty content. Technological innovations are worthless without an abiding message to communicate. Timely methods deserve a timeless Gospel for the human heart.,

Our Lord Jesus used every means at His disposal to share His message. He preached and used object lessons like birds, flowers, coins, and even the children He lifted in His arms and sat in His midst. He performed signs and wonders, stilled storms, and turned water into wine. He wasn't showing off. He was using object lessons as only He could use them. On one occasion, He stooped and wrote in the dirt with His finger.

According to Acts 1:1, the Gospel is the account of "all that Jesus began both to do and teach." The 2000-year history of the church is the story of all that Jesus is continuing to do and to teach, using every worthwhile means a His disposal through His people and His church.

I'm not willing to let the devil have full use of all of today's technologies. Why yield an inch to him? Why not claim some unclaimed resources and reclaim the message for Christ? Nationally and internationally, we're committed to exploit every fresh opportunity and get the changeless message of our Lord before more people than ever before in our history.


People, it has been my prayer and hope that this little ole' Talk Wisdom blog has been even just a bit of a blessing to each of you. When I first started this blog, it was a little scary. But I soon found out (back in 2004) that I might just be talking to myself! You see, I didn't have ANY comments for weeks! Then, one day a reader posted the first comment.

Over several years I have "learned the ropes" of blogging. I found numerous blogs - many of which were so much more sophisticated than mine - and tried some of the methods that they were utilizing. But still, I didn't have any idea how many people were visiting this blog until I got my counter. Over the past few weeks, there have been hundreds of hits here just using the search phrase, "true meaning of Christmas." How delightful it was to know that in December of 2010, people are genuinely seeking the TRUE MEANING of Christmas - and coming here to read about it!

It is my desire to share more of the essay, "Claiming The Power" in my next blog post. For now, I will share the most important part:

Psalm 62:11 says, "power belongs to God." According to Psalm 65:6, God is "clothed with power." Jeremiah 10:12 says that God "made the earth by His power." Psalm 66:7 says that He "rules by His power forever."

Luke tells us that Jesus went about His ministry "in the power of the Spirit" (Luke 4:14; Acts 10:38), and people were amazed at His "authority and power" (Luke 4:36). He had power on earth to forgive sins (Luke 5:24), to heal illness (Luke 6:19), to still storms and alter weather patterns (Mark 4:39). He said that all power had been given to Him in heaven and on earth (Matthew 28:18). He is declared to be the Son of God with power by His resurrection from the dead (Romans 1:4). And when He comes again, it will be in "power and great glory" (Matthew 24:30).

We can only live for Him effectively when we tap into the infinite source of His power. We're to be strong...in the power of His might (Ephesians 6:10).

Hat Tip:

David Jeremiah.org

No comments: