Tuesday, July 09, 2013

A Health Warning Plus Dietary Suggestions

There is an important article that contains some bad news regarding the filth and unhealthy conditions at a certain restaurant over at the Natural News.com Site.



Excerpt:

(NaturalNews) Shocking photos posted on the internet claim to show behind-the-scenes filth at a Golden Corral restaurant. The photos appear to show filthy dishes stacked nearly head-high, with food waste littering the floor right next to beverage service carts. Three employees are clearly depicted in the photos, and they appear to be wearing uniforms consistent with those worn by Golden Corral employees.

The photos (see below) also show overflowing trash cans and food refuse so thick that employees are walking all over it while mountains of filthy dishes appear to be ready to collapse onto the floor.

All photos are shown  [HERE].

Adding to the apparent filth, a young man who claims to be a Golden Corral employee has posted a shocking video that he says shows Golden Corral hiding fresh meat near dumpsters while the restaurant undergoes an inspection. Once the inspection is over, he explains, the food will be carted back into the restaurant and served up to hungry customers (but without all the flies).



So gross!

 I have gotten sick at several different restaurants in the past and when I do end up sick, I NEVER GO BACK!

 I have not eaten at any "Golden Corral" restaurants and now that I've seen the filth and unsanitary conditions there, I never will!

When I see incidents like this, I don't feel confident about eating out at restaurants!

As long as we are on the subject of health issues, I must share that having digestive issues later in life [those of us in the 50+ crowd],  seems to be a common ailment.   Two discoveries of what to avoid have helped me tremendously!

First, about five years ago I learned that I was "lactose intolerant." (LT)  I have heard that this can be hereditary in nature, but it also seems to develop more often in women (rather than men) later on in life.  There are statistics out there that claim that over 50% of women (in particular) over the age of 50 become lactose intolerant!

I look for items in the health food grocery stores [e.g. Sprouts] that are designated as "lactose free."  I love ice cream, but the only one that I have found so far that is designated as "lactose free" is Breyers vanilla.  There are many soy and almond ice cream substitutes, and some of them are really good!  But my favorite is the Breyers lactose free vanilla (with chocolate syrup on top)!

I was drinking a lot of soy milk when I first discovered that I was LT, but switched to Lactaid milk.  FYI - once opened, soy milk and Lactaid milk should be consumed within seven days.

When I'm out at a restaurant, I try to choose items on the menu that don't contain any dairy products.  However, if I'm not sure (or, I decide to have a little butter on the bread), I take a Lactase enzyme supplement.  My favorite brand is Enzymedica "Lacto" which prevents bloating, is complete digestive support, and aids in cheese and milk digestion.  It is vegan and kosher, and contains plant based enzymes.  The label claims that it is the #1 selling enzyme brand.  It sells for @ $20.00 for 30 capsules at Sprouts stores, but I usually stock up when they have their 25% off sales!

Several months ago, I still was not feeling right in my digestive tract.  Admittedly, I used to love cake, brownies, pie etc., but decided that maybe I should try to cut down drastically on the sweets and also try eating a gluten-free diet to see if I would feel better.  I could see the difference almost immediately, but after one week I knew that gluten-free eating was for me!  Another positive result was that I dropped four pounds!

Natural food stores have the greatest selection of gluten-free products.  I switched out my cereals, breads, and occasional "sweets" for whatever I could find in each aisle that were labeled "gluten-free." 

I'm not an expert on this issue, so further research might be a good idea.  However, when I asked a friend about where the gluten additives (they are in MANY products!) came from, she informed me that years ago, manufacturers started adding the "chaff" from the wheat that had been previously thrown out before using the wheat in breads cereals, and other food items! 

It dawned on me that the Bible uses the analogy of "separating the wheat from the chaff" **for a reason!  Supposedly, manufacturers use the chaff in their products now to keep costs down while achieving larger quantity production of their products.  I ask, at what cost does this come to the health of individuals?

When I find myself eating a product that has gluten in it (which I try hard not to do!), Enzymedica also has a supplement called "GlutenEase" with DPP-IV Activity for Gluten and Casein digestion.  It contains high potency DPP-IV, and provides additional support when eating foods that contain gluten or casein.  If I recall correctly, the bottle that I bought cost @ $27.00 for 60 capsules.

Of course, you may want to consult your physician before taking any supplements. 

When I consulted with my doctor and found out that I have osteo-arthritis, she recommended a diet called "The Mohrdar Diet" which was designed to help with easing inflammation.  But I hated the fact that it recommended giving up shellfish!  I love shrimp, crab, and lobster!  However, eliminating beef from my diet did help ease my digestive problems because beef is always difficult to digest.  Lamb is easier to digest so I have that at least 3 times per month.  I eat chicken, turkey, fish, and lamb for protein.

Buying gluten-free products is more expensive.  But to me - it's well worth the health benefits!  Many gluten-free breads can be found in the refrigerated and/or frozen food sections of the store.  Keeping them refrigerated after opening at home helps keep them fresh longer, too.

Questions and/or comments are welcome!  I can always learn more!

Stay healthy!

~  Christine

 

Hat tips: Natural News



**Bible verses discussing "wheat" and "chaff."

Jer 23:28  “The prophet who has a dream, let him tell a dream; And he who has My word, let him speak My word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat?” says the LORD.

Mat 3:12   “His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

Luk 3:17   “His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather the wheat into His barn; but the chaff He will burn with unquenchable fire.”

No comments: