Thursday, December 01, 2005

That Inner Serenity

You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3

I love that Bible verse. The first reason I love it is because it tells me that there is such a thing as perfect peace. The second reason I love the verse is because it instructs me on what to do and how I should be in order to be kept in perfect peace. I am to keep my mind stayed on Christ. The third reason I love this verse is because it tells me how I can obtain that perfect peace. It is when I trust in Him.

We can never avoid strife in the world around us, but with God we can know perfect peace even in turmoil. When we are devoted to him, our whole attitude is steady and stable.

What is the secret of this?

It is being supported by God's unchanging love and mighty power, we are not shaken by the surrounding chaos (see Philippians 4:6,7).

Do you want peace?

Keep your thoughts on and your trust in God!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6, 7 NIV)

I would love to never be "anxious about anything." It seems like an impossibility because we all have worries on the job, in our homes, for our kids at school. But Paul's advice here is telling us to turn our worries into prayers.

It is telling me that if I want to worry less, then I am to pray more!

Simple concept, isn't it? But the question we must ask ourselves is, do we do this? We must be honest with ourselves and admit that the answer is probably no.

As I reflect on periods of turmoil in my own life, I now see how often I mistakenly found myself relying on my own human efforts first when faced with a problem. I thought of prayer as a last resort when all else failed. But God's Word tells me that whenever I even just start to worry, stop and pray!

God's peace is so different from the world's peace (see John 14:27). True peace is not found in positive thinking, in absence of conflict, or in good feelings. It comes from knowing that God is in control. Our citizenship in Christ's kingdom is sure, our destiny is set, and we can have victory over sin.

We need to allow God's peace to guard our hearts against anxiety.

In John 14:27 Jesus said:

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

In John 14:26, Jesus gives us the promise of the Holy Spirit.

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

The end result of the Holy Spirit's work in our lives is deep and lasting peace. With Christ's peace, we have no need to fear the present or the future!

I know that when I pray, I experience such peace. When I read my Bible and study God's Word, I experience such peace. When I pray with another Christian friend or in the midst of my study group, I experience such peace. This is where the promise that Jesus gives us in Philippians 4:7 and John 14:26 truly lives. That promise of guarding our hearts and minds. The only way is through the peace that God offers us. It cannot be found in our own understanding because it transcends our human understanding.

This morning when I opened my Bible, the back page of the February 2005 issue of the In Touch devotional magazine just happened to be right there, tucked inside my front page cover. It showed a picture of Charles Stanley's book called Finding Peace. There were a few paragraphs written there about this book. It seemed a perfect fit to share along with the Isaiah Bible verse.

"Although life's circumstances are continually changing, God's peace is a constant that's always available for those who seek His quieting touch. Our world offers peace in the form of financial security, possessions, or power. Even though these may appear reliable and concrete, they are ultimately an illusion.

Some people believe that peace is a by-product of right decisions or good intentions. Others define it as the absence of difficulty or the ability to avoid dealing with hard issues. All of these views, however, contradict the simple yet accurate description of peace - the inner serenity that flows out of a right relationship with God.

When you know that the Lord is with you, His power will bring a sustaining calm that will encourage your soul while delivering you through every storm. You may be facing a job loss, a broken relationship, or unsettling news from your doctor. Though it may not make sense, peace is often most evident during periods of struggle. Despite the ominous storm clouds around you, the silver lining of our heavenly Father's promise will bring the blessing of a steadfast soul and tranquil heart."

1 comment:

Susan Smith said...

Thank you for such an uplifting and encouraging post as we near the end of this week, Christine.

Christine said: "But God's Word tells me that whenever I even just start to worry, stop and pray!... I know that when I pray, I experience such peace. When I read my Bible and study God's Word, I experience such peace."

Christine said: "It cannot be found in our own understanding because it transcends our human understanding."

Christine concluded: The simple yet accurate description of peace is the inner serenity that flows out of a right relationship with God. "When you know that the Lord is with you, His power will bring a sustaining calm that will encourage your soul while delivering you through every storm."

Thank you for encouraging my soul and uplifting my spirit. This post has many life-giving words. You seem to be wiser since you had a birthday. :) Wisdom often comes with age as we grow in the knowledge of the Lord. Bless you from the City of God. (ss)