Monday, April 03, 2006

Vigilance

1 Tim 3:2 (KJV) A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

If you want to be a leader and one who overcomes the devil....

Vigilance

2 Tim 2:3-4 (KJV) Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. {4} No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

I remember when I was a boy we would play army. Everybody always wanted me on their team. The reason, we always won. Even if most of my guys got shot I'd keep on and win. I can remember one time when I was the only one left on my team. It was six against one. I knew I couldn't take them all at once. So I ambushed them one at time. I never got greedy and chanced more than I knew I could do. I remember finding a great hiding spot, waiting for them all to pass, picking off the last guy, and then disappearing on them again. At a young age I was learning vigilance. I had an overall plan, a simple plan really. I was incredibly focused on each detail. I relied upon my patience. My vigilance was the difference. In a sense I learned good soldiering.

1 Pet 5:8-9 (KJV) Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: {9} Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

I remember early on in my walk with Christ. I hadn't been a believer for more than a few months. But I knew Jesus was real, and I also knew Satan was real. I remember we were going on a trip. I prayed non-stop. I prayed about the car, I prayed about the traffic, I prayed about the places we would stay, what we would eat. I prayed about my house. I prayed about my family. I even prayed over which route to take. I was not going to let the devil have an inch. I was vigilant!

Now, maybe all this seems extreme. But you know what? If you really want to win this battle, this war, we need to learn how to be vigilant.

Be vigilant, resist the devil. He's a coward and he'll run if you'll be vigilant.

Written by Rocky Chambers

No comments: