Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Some Thoughts About Faith

Some Thoughts About Faith

There are a lot of Bible verses that describe the term "faith."

If I were to choose a favorite, I would pick the following:

Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of {things} hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
New American Standard Bible © 1995 Lockman Foundation

I also like the New Living Translation of the same verse:

Hebrews 11:1 - What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.
New Living Translation © 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust

The entire chapter of Hebrews 11 describes what it means to live by faith. It reveals situations in the lives of Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses and others who not only acknowledged God, but had personal, dynamic relationships with Him that transformed their lives; thus showing evidence of their faith.

God does the same transformation for believers in Jesus Christ today.

Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (NIV)

Compare that verse with these following verses.

Jesus speaking:
Luke 9:20 - And He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered and said, "The Christ of God."
New American Standard Bible © 1995 Lockman Foundation

And this verse:
1 Peter 1:21 - Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And because God raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory, your faith and hope can be placed confidently in God.
New Living Translation © 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust

One thing that I find in common with most born-again (Evangelical) Christians is that as a result of seeking God, they find that they are rewarded with his intimate presence in their lives. How do I know of His presence in my life?

1. Answered prayer is a huge example of evidence.

2. Guidance through His Word, the Bible is just as relevant today as it was when it was first written.

3. Fulfilled prophecy and evidence of the Resurrection make Christianity a reasonable faith, for me.

4. Believers lives are transformed by the power of Christ's Holy Spirit indwelling them and they spiritually 'feel' and 'know' His presence.

This is not meant as an "I've got it and you don't" attitude or feeling. It is just one of the "rewards" for faith as described in the Hebrews 11:6 verse. It is not something to keep to oneself. It is something that we fervently want to share with everyone and anyone who will listen.

I realize that some will not accept what I share, but I am called by Christ to share it anyway. The Holy Spirit is responsible for the rest. The potential recipient can choose to either accept or reject the offer.

He/she has his/her entire life to make that decision; however, one never knows when one's life will end and the chances to repent and be reconciled back to God will end.

Jeremiah 24:7 - Then I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the Lord; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God, for they shall return to Me with their whole heart.
New King James Version © 1982 Thomas Nelson

2 comments:

Susan Smith said...

A fresh red rose with drops of dew on it to you, my friend, for those lovely thoughts about faith. Your early morning post is a pleasant evening post for me, all the way across the "Land of the Free", the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea!

It is refreshing to come home from work and read words that are pleasant and uplifting to my heart and soul.

Hope you have a wonderful day! Yours in Christ. (ss)

Christinewjc said...

What a beautiful word picture Susan! I can see that lovely rose in my minds eye.

I am so glad when my posts refresh and uplift you after a long day at work.

My day on Tuesday was great! Started a new Bible study and I have created a new blog for it!

My day on Wednesday wasn't so good. I found out some very disappointing news that hurt me. But I'll get through it...the Lord helps me and in the end I find that I am stronger in my faith than before because of it!

In Him,
Christine