Sunday, April 13, 2008

Wholly Follow the LORD our God

Dr. David Jeremiah continues the series from the book of Judges with Living for God in a Dying World.

Jesus told us, in essence, 'In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! For I have overcome the world.'

Jhn 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

The promise of eternal life through Jesus Christ is our only hope in the midst of this sinful, dying world. The Bible encourages us to be "salt and light" as we carry on Jesus' final commandment of going out and telling all nations about Him; baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We are here to tell those who do not know Jesus who He is and what He has done for us through the cross of salvation.

As I watched this sermon on T.V. today, I couldn't help but be encouraged by what we should be doing while living for God in this dying world. Despite the fact that proclaiming the truth is often reviled, ridiculed, scorned, and dismissed - we need to do it anyway. Remember the naysayers in Caleb and Joshua's time who also scouted out the Promised Land and feared that the inhabitants there would make their efforts to go into the Holy Land impossible? Yet, these two were the only ones who spoke out in confidence when they returned - just because they trusted in God, believed in God and wholly followed the Lord.

Num 14:24 But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.

Num 32:12 Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the LORD.

Deu 1:36 Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh; he shall see it, and to him will I give the land that he hath trodden upon, and to his children, because he hath wholly followed the LORD.

Jos 14:8 Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.

Jos 14:9 And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God.

That's the secret, people. Wholly follow the LORD our God!

1Jo 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

See 1 John 4 (NKJV)

Have a blessed Sunday!

In Christ,

Christine

P.S. During the sermon, I found it interesting that the king's name - Chushanrishathaim - means "double wickedness." Yikes!

Read the entire account in Judges 3:3-11.

*******

Outline:

The Book of Judges: Unlikely Leaders. . .Unbelievable Power

Dr. David Jeremiah

“Living for God in a Dying World”

Judges 3:7-31

April 13, 2008

Judges 2:11-13

I. Develop Strong Convictions
Judges 3:9
Numbers 14:24
Numbers 32:12
Deuteronomy 1:36
Joshua 14:8-9

II. Determine to Be Courageous
Judges 3:7-9
Judges 1:12-13

III. Draw Your Confidence from God
Judges 3:10
Judges 3:10-11
Zechariah 4:6
Isaiah 40: 29-31
Judges 3:11-12

IV. Dare to Confront the Enemy
Judges 3:13-14
Judges 3:15
Judges 3:16-21
Judges 3:28-30
Judges 3:31
Judges 5:6

V. Do What You Can with What You Have

No comments: