Sunday, November 20, 2011

When Changing Your Mind Could Save Your Life

Today's Turning Point television presentation was the final one in a series of ten where Dr. David Jeremiah concludes with When Changing Your Mind Could Save Your Life.

When you go to the site, click on the green box that says, "Watch Now - This Week's Broadcast."

It is eye opening to realize how much an immoral, fallen culture can slowly lull unsuspecting people into conforming their lives towards what would have been unthinkable in the past. Take a look at the many definitions of the term "conform" posted at Dictionary.com:

con·form   /kənˈfɔrm/ Show Spelled[kuhn-fawrm] Show IPA
verb (used without object)
1. to act in accordance or harmony; comply (usually followed by to ): to conform to rules.
2. to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group: One has to conform in order to succeed in this company.
3. to be or become similar in form, nature, or character.
4. to be in harmony or accord.
5. to comply with the usages of an established church, especially the Church of England.

If we focus on the dictionary description #2, we find:

2. to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group: One has to conform in order to succeed in this company

Question. What if conforming to the "prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of a company (in order to succeed)" goes against your own morals, values, and ethics? Should one (especially a Christian believer) conform in such a case?

I can still recall some vague details about an assignment I had received via a temporary employment agency back in the early 1980's. I had just completed through working a temporary two week job where I answered constantly ringing phones and tried to fit in my typing assignments during each hectic day. I was hoping that this next job would be more pleasant. Well, I didn't even last one day there. When I arrived, the men in the office were using foul language. I didn't want to hear that! They were also very sexist. I could see this through the mistreatment that the one woman I present in the office at the time was going through. The sexual innuendos flying around that office were disgusting! The one woman there looked at me and her eyes seemed to be saying, "get out while you can." When I discovered what the work would entail, (I can't remember exactly what was done there) but it was obviously immoral.

Within about 20 minutes, I could not see myself working there.  I abruptly got up from my chair and said, "I'm leaving now. I do not want to be associated with your associates." The company was named "(Something) Associates." I was not about to be conformed to their unethical ways of running a business. When I told the Kelly Girl office what I had experienced, they quickly went to work and found another assignment for me.

Another definition of the term "conformed" reads:

verb (used with object)
6. to make similar in form, nature, or character.
7. to bring into agreement, correspondence, or harmony.

This reminds me of another incident that happened after I met my husband. We both worked in the engineering dept. of a large grocery store chain back east.  I loved the nature and harmony between the employees at that office.   When we became engaged, the proper protocol within the company was for us not to continue working in the same department. I was transferred over to health and beauty aids which was located in a more industrial, dirty, and dangerous area of the city. I thought, well, I can get through this for the six months until our wedding day. It was a much further drive away from my apartment so I had to get up much earlier each day.

Long story short, my supervisor there was a nasty, verbally abusive and ugly person! I am not exaggerating when I tell you that he resembled the cartoon character face of MAD Magazine. Unfortunately, he wasn't funny...at all. Just downright NASTY. He bashed me continually for not getting enough work done. He would purposely deride me about everything.  I decided to stay two hours extra for several nights over the course of one week in order to complete more work - and he criticized me about that too! Unfortunately, instead of commending me for getting all the work done he was angry because I ended up going into the overtime pay realm.  I was supposed to ask him  for permission (which I didn't need to do at the engineering office department)  to do that and he didn't want to pay me extra for what he thought I should have been doing from 8 - 5 each day.

I can remember crying while driving home.  I tried to hold it in but ended up crying when I told my then-fiancee what I was going through.  He wanted me to quit. But I didn't. We needed the money to start our lives together and I continued on at that job.  I  became friends with many co-workers there who also knew how mean and critical Mr. Urkquart was! I wasn't going to let him change me. I wasn't going to let him "make [me] similar in form, nature, or character." In fact, I eventually became immune to his rants. I also honed my typing skills by practicing diligently and was able to reach a level where I completed documents much faster than before!

Perhaps this could be a small (and probably insignificant) example of transforming my mind?

There are several different dictionary meanings to the word, "transform." Here are the relevant ones to this discussion:

trans·form   /v. trænsˈfɔrm; n. ˈtrænsfɔrm/ Show Spelled[v. trans-fawrm; n. trans-fawrm] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
1. to change in form, appearance, or structure; metamorphose.
2. to change in condition, nature, or character; convert.


In Dr. Jeremiah's sermon, he informs us that when we become Christians, we are to transform our minds through Bible reading and through the power of the Holy Spirit!

Rom 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what [is] that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

2Cr 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

THE most significant transformation that can happen in any one's life is through being born again in Jesus Christ! What Jesus and the Bible are telling us is:

verb (used without object)
7. to undergo a change in form, appearance, or character; become transformed.

Ultimately, such a change in one's heart, mind, soul, and spirit; because of the transforming nature given to us through the sacrificial death of our sins by Jesus Christ at the cross of Calvary (and his subsequent resurrection to life for our eternal sakes) DOES save our lives for all eternity! What could possibly be more important in this world? Answer: NOTHING!

My prayer today:

As we approach Thanksgiving Day, my heart is filled with gratitude and thanks to Jesus Christ for saving me from my sins. I am grateful for the wonderful family I have and all that God has provided for us over the course of our lives. I know that without Him, I am nothing; for He is my everything!

In Jesus' precious name I pray, Amen.


Here is the outline for the sermon. I hope you will take the time to listen and/or watch at this link:

I NEVER THOUGHT I’D SEE THE DAY
Dr. David Jeremiah

“When Changing Your Mind Could Save Your Life”
Romans 12

November 20, 2011

Romans 12:1-2
I. A Radical Decision
A. It’s Crucial
B. It’s Comprehensive

Romans 6:13
C. It’s Costly

Romans 12:1
D. It’s Creative
E. It’s Credible

Romans 12:1

II. A Rational Determination

Romans 12:2
A. Being Conformed
B. Being Transformed

III. A Rigorous Discipline
Romans 12:2

A. Two Agents: The Holy Spirit and the Word of God
Titus 3:5
Ephesians 4:23
B. Two Actions: Outside-In and Inside-Out
2 Corinthians 5:17

IV. A Routine Demonstration

Romans 12:2
A. You Will Learn the Will of God
B. You Will Live the Will of God
C. You Will Love the Will of God

No comments: