Monday, September 16, 2013

Where Can We Find Peace in Situations Like This?

My day actually started out so beautifully! Early this morning, I received an email notification from WND about a video that had gone viral after three young men dazzled the audience during an "America's Got Talent" audition. They sang a worship song about Jesus; and the audience and judges all ended up giving them a standing ovation!

It was certainly a joyful moment!

Since the song was in a different language, I wondered whether or not the judges would have liked it as much if it was sung in English and the name "Jesus" was uttered? I know...it's just the skepticism in me that would say such a thing. But can you blame me?  The political correctness that abounds these days forbids any display of outward worship of Jesus Christ. Well, as for me and my house - we will WORSHIP THE LORD - no matter what society says about it!

I think that when worship songs are sung so beautifully; we get a glimpse of what it will be like in heaven!

After listening to that beautiful rendition several times, I was ready to go and tackle my job of clearing away everything off the carpets throughout the house over the next four hours before the carpet cleaners arrived!

But then, it happened...again. Another day....another shooting tragedy.

Because I was having my carpets in the house cleaned, I had nothing else to do but hang out with my two dogs in the sun room (which has a brick floor) while the men who arrived at 11:30 a.m. dry cleaned the carpets throughout the house. I watched the news all day (for the most part).  And as the day dragged on, I found myself  receiving more and more information about the killer, Aaron Alexis, who used someone else's ID to get into the Naval yard facility in Washington D.C., and then proceeded to gun down 12 civilians.

As usual, we all go through the WHYS of such a terrible event. What drove this man to do such a terrible thing? What were his motives? We could ask questions ad infinitum. However, we do know that such an act of evil cannot be easily explained until all the facts are known.

Yesterday, I heard one of the most sobering sermons ever on Turning Point Television.

Dr. David Jeremiah started a new series entitled, "What Are You Afraid Of?" The book by the same
name comes out sometime in October.

 . What Are You Afraid Of?

Yesterday's sermon was the very first in a series of sermons on the topic. Although it didn't deal directly with such an evil act of shooting civilians, it did prepare me for what transpired today.

The topic of Sunday's sermon was Disaster: The Fear of Natural Calamity(*See outline below). The website informs us:

As we begin this new series on fear, unforeseen disasters recently ravaged cities across the United States—where can we find peace in situations like this? Find rest in God.

Go to the link and click on the green colored box that says, Watch Now: "This Week's Broadcast." What Dr. Jeremiah shared was stunningly real; and VERY SOBERING...to say the least! But if you take the time to watch and listen all the way through, you will come out the other side with trust in God, and conviction through faith in Jesus Christ!


“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will fn have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
 


Hat tips to all links.

*******

*Outline:



WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF?



Dr. David Jeremiah

"Disaster: The Fear of Natural Calamity"
 
Selected Scripture

September 15, 2013

Job 1:1

Job 1:3

Job 1:8-12

Job 1:16

Job 1:18-19

I. Natural Disasters and the Reality of God

A. God Cannot Be Divorced From Disasters

1. God employs the elements of nature in the operation of the world

Job 37:6, 10-12

2. God employs the elements of nature in His opposition to evil

Numbers 16:32

B. God Cannot Be Discredited by Disasters

C. God Cannot Be Defined by Disasters

D. God Cannot Be Defeated by Disasters

Isaiah 46:9-11

Romans 8:28

II. Natural Disasters and the Responsibilities of Man

A. Disasters Teach Us to Repent of Our Sin

B. Disasters Teach Us to Reflect on God’s Goodness

C. Disasters Teach Us to Respond to the Hurting

D. Disasters Teach Us to Remember God’s Promise

Revelation 21:3-4

E. Disasters Teach Us to Rely on God’s Presence and His Power


Job 13:15


Job 19:25-27

Job 42:5-6

Psalm 46:1-3
 
 

No comments: