Thursday, February 01, 2007

More Attention to Body or Soul?

Image Makeover


For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 8:29


Recommended Reading

Psalm 119:67-71


There is a growing epidemic in Western cultures: dissatisfaction with one's body image. Men and women are reporting that they are not happy with how they look. Painful solutions run the gamut from daily workouts in the gym to eating disorders and plastic surgery. Even then, the goal for too many remains elusive.


We're not happy with our physical image, but God is not happy with our spiritual image. Fortunately, He has a solution: He has chosen us to be eternally conformed to the image of His own Son, Jesus Christ. But just as "no pain, no gain" applies to diet and exercise, so it applies in the spiritual realm as well. Here is God's principle for reshaping our spiritual image: He will not spare present pain if it means eternal profit. The Old Testament patriarch, Jacob, is a good example. Long a deceiver, God used Jacob's Uncle Laban, who was himself a shady dealer, to teach Jacob some hard lessons (Genesis 29 30). If you're experiencing pain, see if you can find the eternal profit that it is designed to produce.


Based on how long each will last, which of our images should get most of our attention—body or soul?


"Pain can either make us better or bitter." Tim Hansel


Read-Thru-the-Bible

Leviticus 8:1 - 10:20



HT: Turning Point Online

*******

I seriously needed to read this today! Tell you why later...

2 comments:

Christinewjc said...

I just think that it is more difficult for women, rather than men, to "age gracefully." There comes a time when unless you get "work done" on your face and/or body, the aging process takes it's toll.

With the focus on looks and weight so prevalent today, it can be intimidating for a middle aged woman to wear a bathing suit in public! I think I might be ready for the 1920's Athletic Tank Suits to come back into vogue. Would hide a lot of imperfections!

In another 10-20 years, I'll need THIS!

sigh...

JF said...

Hi there Christine. I haven't been around but today I just cheked my bookmarks and... this very interesting blog to read as always. I know beauty is something man like to see and woman like to show. Just let me tell you I don't know but lately that song of Crystal Lewis with Ron Kenoly has played on my mind every time I see a nice woman. That song "Beauty for ashes". And I really see as my mother use to say beauty is skin deep and though God loves us as we are I don't think He cares that much on our beauty though I understand He wants us to look great as well. As a man I like to see nice women but these days it's hard to find spiritual beauty. I know it's out there somewhere but as humans we prefer to show what others can see because the interior no man can see. Well God bless you