Saturday, October 13, 2007

Be A Light Where God Asks You to Go


Weekend, October 13 & 14


Beyond the Gates: Surrender in Thailand


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13


Recommended Reading

Exodus 3:1-4:17

Ash and Anji Barker, and their little daughter, Amy, moved from Melbourne, Australia, to the Klong Toey slum community in Bangkok, Thailand, in 2002. No strangers to the challenges of ministering to the urban poor, they were met with initial challenges in Bangkok that seemed overwhelming. Within six months, Ash contracted an illness the local doctors couldn't identify; and while taking care of him, Anji began suffering with the early stages of dengue fever. Two deathly ill parents watched their daughter entertain herself trying to understand Thai cartoons on the television. The words to the hymn "I Surrender All" kept ringing in Ash's ears: "All to thee my blessed Savior, I surrender all."


Ash reflected on the decision they had made to minister to Bangkok's urban poor. "Who am I to do such a task?" he had prayed. "I know I am lots of things, Lord, but I am no [Saint] Francis or [Saint] Patrick." And he seemed to hear the Lord say, "You don't have to be someone else. Just light the candles I give you to light."


When you consider going beyond your own gates for the sake of others, you're only responsible to be a light where God asks you to go.


The greatness of a man's power is the measure of his surrender.

William Booth


Read-Thru-the-Bible

Luke 19:1 - 20:47 ;

Luke 21:1 - 22:71



HT: Turning Point Online

No comments: